Economic Development Officer
Economic Development Officer
Term Contract – Scope of position
The Board of AdvantageHOPE is seeking a highly visible, accomplished individual to maintain an effective and professional delivery of our Economic Development strategy, including business retention and expansion, business and investment attraction, workforce development, resident attraction, developing marketing strategies designed to promote the region as a business destination, business issues, economic trends, supports and works alongside District Staff working on neighborhood issues, relationships with senior levels of government, and performs related duties as required.
This position is expected to develop partnerships, support strategic planning and work effectively with the community. Assigned duties and responsibilities may require work to be performed outside of normal business hours, weekends and holidays.
- Coordinates, monitors and evaluates the planning and execution of activities with fellow economic development stakeholders and partners.
- Implement program objectives, policies and priorities as identified in our Economic Development Strategy and Integrated Official Community Plan, while proactively participating in the development of other identified goals and recommendations.
- Develop and implement programs for business enhancement, business retention and business expansion.
- Plans, schedules and carries out economic development program activities including initial planning, feasibility determination, community involvement and acceptance, implementation with project timelines, as well as review and evaluation.
- Works closely with local business and recruits potential business.
- Develop and implement strategies to assist with business growth and expansion.
- Assist and facilitate discussions with the private and public sector regarding economic development initiatives.
- Maintain a database of information regarding the availability of land, infrastructure, and other facilities conducive to the proportion of business and industrial development.
- Responds to inquiries regarding economic data, trends and resources as industrial and commercial developments opportunities.
- Develop and implement a marketing program.
- Coordinate the development of marketing materials.
- Make presentations to businesses, Council and community groups.
- Maintains active contact with relevant agencies at all levels of government in order to generate leads and to be informed of government programs that will assist with the economic development of the community.
- Participate in regional economic planning activities as required.
- Write reports.
- Advise the Board of AdvantageHOPE and/or Council on matters related to economic development.
- Self starter
- Adaptable to dynamic deadlines
- Ability to produce and work within timelines as well as identify workplan priorities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- the principles, practice and issues of economic and community development including business retention and recruitment, real estate, land development process;
- pertinent Federal, provincial and local regulations and procedures concerning economic development;
- principles and practices of demographic research and analysis;
- principals and practice of grant writing; group dynamics;
- principals and techniques of report writing and organizational and operational analysis; and
- the Provincial Nominee Program.
- coordinate and implement an economic development program, including a proactive outreach and communication policy which projects the image of the community;
- organize tasks, set priorities and exercising sound independent judgment within established guidelines, including using creative ways to solve issues;
- work effectively with business leaders, financial institutions, community groups;
- work effectively in a highly visible position;
- effectively communicate both orally and in writing to the business community and general public; and
- facilitate community visits with potential investors and foreign entrepreneurs applying through the Provincial Nominee Program.
- a business diploma or degree plus 3-5 years of related experience or sufficient experience and knowledge.
- a sound background in community economic and business development;
- good financial management skills;
- experience in group facilitation, consensus building and mediation;
This is a minimum of 40hr a week position ending December 31st, 2023 with the opportunity to renew should both parties agree and dependent upon a renewal of the Fee for Service agreement between AdvantageHOPE and the District of Hope. Hours will vary in accordance with meetings and activities outside of regular business hours.
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.